Lamar is located on Highway 245 and is approximately 13.5 miles north of Rockport. It was established in 1888 by John Wesley Lamar.
Another view of Lamar.
The town's first transportation, in addition to a road, came when the Huntingburg, tell City and Cannelton Railroad was built in 1886. A church was built in 1897. a school was built sometime between 1887 and 1891.
Lamar's businesses, while never very large or of long duration, have been those of an average Indiana small town. when the railroad was in its heyday, the town was a collecting point for farm produce and a distributing point for rural needs.
Today, the town is surrounded by farms, some of which are dotted with coal strip mines. After removing the coal, the land is returned to farmland. Clay-Huff Elementary School, located outside of Lamar, closed its doors in 1993. A new Lincoln Trail Elementary school was constructed north of town.
Working diligently for several years, the townspeople around Lamar were successful in acquiring a city sewage system in the year 2001. Many hours of benefit suppers, barbecues, contributions and planning with the State of Indiana finally brought city sewers to Lamar. Property values, once very low because of failing septic systems, are now being raised and homes are being remodeled.